The project I want to use these techniques on is this cute coat--McCall 5480. Here it is:
This looks like an evening coat. I'm going to lengthen it and lengthen the sleeves to the wrist, making it a day coat. The fabric is what I call "maize"--a dull yellow color, of unknown man-made fiber. I got the fabric off the free grab-table at a wonderful sewing club to which I belong.
The coat has large buttons, which is why the need for the bound butonholes. It also has applied welt pockets. The pattern directions for the pocket are sparse and useless. I used these books for instruction for the buttonholes and pockets:
I found a lot of information on the Internet also--Sigrid's Sewing Tutorials. Thanks to those of you who post such detailed instructions.
I've made bound buttonholes until I can do them in my sleep, and honestly--they look pretty good! Today, I had a "lightbulb moment" in regard to the applied welt pockets. They still need some tweaking, but I have the idea now. Here's one of my tests:
Maybe I'll work on them tonight. DH is going to band practice tonight, so I'll have a few hours of alone time to think about what I'm trying to do.