Friday, December 30, 2011

CLD Discover Something Novel

There's nothing like a flu bug to put a damper on the holidays.  I'm taking antibiotics that I'm hoping will knock this crud out of me before Wednesday, because I'm scheduled for cataract surgery.  I don't want to have to cancel the surgery and start that whole process all over.

I noticed this vest in Threads.  It's Louise Cutting's Discover Something Novel. 

The pattern:


I love this vest.  It is a good pattern if you like to embellish.  The right front has two pieces, the back is asymmetrical, split into two pieces, and the peplum is separate pieces, back and front.  Mine is made from black velveteen, black velvet embossed twill, and white shantung.  Here's the front:




The side, showing the peplum is is split at the side seam:


And the back:



It's hung over a white t-shirt, but it would look pretty over a shiny, long-sleeved shirt and velveteen pants.  Although the pattern doesn't have a lining,  I lined mine with a black/white print.  Love.

A few weeks ago, I took a workshop called "Mixed Media", where we played with a lot of different mediums--paints, inks, etc.  We did silk screening, stenciling, dying,  sun printing, and many other techniques.  I was introduced to something called Zentangle, and was hooked immediately.  Zentangle is basically doodling repetitive patterns.  When I realized this could be done on fabric, I was ecstatic!  I bought this piece of fabric from the instructor.  It's cotton fabric, drawn on with a Sharpie marker.


Isn't that gorgeous?  The gal who did this piece drew it while standing by her kitchen counter.  My goal is to be able to draw that on something--fabric, a shirt, white tote bags.  It could be done in color, or this black and white drawing could be hand embroidered.  Lots of possibilities.  I love to sew, but I equally love playing with pens and inks.

Wishing all of you a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year, filled with fabric and patterns!

17 Talk to me:

Irene said...

Your vest is absolutely gorgeous! I have admired such "arty" patterns for a long time. After a few tries, I have come to realize that they just do not work on me. I do, however, continue to admire them from afar. What a wonderful combination of fabrics.

Beth H said...

Nice vest! I always love a vest, especially the ones with a little extra detail. I hope you get well fast.

Kyle said...

what a neat vest!
you always go to the neatest workshops!
gosh, get better soon and good luck with the cataract surgery--you'll do great!!!

shams said...

That is fabulous, Gwen!

And best wishes for a speedy recovery - both from the flu and from the surgery!!!

Uta said...

Best wishes for a very healthy New Year to you! The vest design is wonderful for playing with pattern. And I admire the interesting workshops you get to take... there's so much that an artistic mind can do!

Lisa said...

Wishing you all the best in the New year . I hope you are on the mend very soon and good luck with the surgery.

Mary Nanna said...

Isn't it amazing to see what you can do with a sharpie? Look forward to seeing your doodlings in the near future. Love the innovative quality of the vest too, and fingers crossed the antibiotics work (and I can't recommend kefir enough for repairing the unpleasant side effects afterwards!)

Corrine said...

What a great jacket, as always, you are so creative. If I could only doodle like that! Happy New Year Gwen. Hope your surgery goes well.

Jane M said...

What a delightful vest, perfect for FL weather. Hope your flu is gone soon and that your surgery goes smoothly. My friends who have had it rave about the results so I hope yours turns out as well. Happy New Year!

Carol said...

I like this vest, too. I doubt I would make it for myself - I'm not that patient, but I would wear it. I love the idea of it over velveteen pants. Add a nice pendant and you've got a stylish outfit for an evening out.

Audrey said...

Striking vest. it will look wonderful with black slacks. My sister introduced me to Zentangles. They are so fun and each persons is unique. Hope the surgery goes well. My eye doctor has told me I will need it in about 20 years. He can already tell.

Lori said...

Your vest is gorgeous and I can't believe she drew that while at the kitchen counter - amazing.

good luck with your surgery.

Martha said...

Love your zentangle and your vest! I've done some zen doodling but never (duh) thought of doing it on fabric! Did the instructor put something under the cotton while she doodled? I'm wondering if it would be helpful to iron it to freezer paper or even place on top of fine grit sand paper. Just a thought. Love her design.

Ann Made Studio said...

Gorgeous vest and wow that is a pretty impressive drawing!

Hope you are feeling better and all goes well for your surgery!

Diana said...

You do such interesting stuff, Gwen. I really like your vest. Happy New Year and good luck with your operation.

MushyWear said...

What a fun and unique vest! Thanks for highlighting this pattern. The piece of fabric you bought is gorgeous and to think it's all done with pen and ink, wow! All the best to you in 2012. I pray you are feeling better for your surgery and everything goes as planned! Looking forward to continuing to follow along on your creative journey!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Love your choices on the vest! Black and white is always chic. The zentangle drawing is cool--I like graphic stuff like that.

Post a Comment