Wednesday, April 22, 2009

S2703





Here's my finished jacket. Do I look like a stop-light? Stand me in an intersection, and I can direct traffic!

Even with it's brightness, I do like it. I can wear it with black, navy or white. I am working on a 2" beaded covered button to use as a lapel pin.

Does it look like the pattern? Yes. But--I seldom make a garment following the pattern to a "t". Here's the changes I made to this pattern:

1. I added 1/2" to the bottom of the hems of the side fronts, back and side backs. The pattern has a 1 1/2" hem, and I prefer a 2" hem in a tailored jacket.
2. Sleeves were shortened to become 3/4 length.
3. Changed the lower bodice facing. The pattern has a gathered lower bodice. The facing piece is the same. That's too much bulk. I made a flat pattern piece for the facing.
4. My fabric was wimpy, so I underlined it with batiste.
5. I taped the front neckline, all the way to the waist to prevent stretching.
6. I added sleeve heads and shoulder pads, and made an adjustment on the shoulder to accomodate the pads.
7. The pattern doesn't include lining, but I did line mine.
8. I didn't attempt a buttonhole at the waistline because of the narrow midriff set-in piece. I knew it would be trouble. Instead, I used a sturdy snap and sewed on a non-working button.

I had no problems with this jacket until I got to the snap. I sewed it on incorrectly, reversing the male/female parts. Not once, but twice! Has anyone seen my mind? I've been sewing on snaps for 50 years. Suddenly it's a big chore!

And that's the end of this saga.













24 Talk to me:

Ann Made Studio said...

The color is great for summer. Wonderful wardrobe addition when you can match it with black, navy and white. I like the pattern changes you made. It looks perfect on you.

Lauren said...

I think the only way you'll affect traffic with it is with people wanting to stop for another look at that great jacket. I love it.

Rhoto said...

"Has anyone seen my mind?" Tee! Hee!!
Did it go "Gone With the Wind" with my 23" waist?? (I'd settle for 32" now ;) )
Warm greetings,
Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

Unknown said...

Love your jacket, you look amazing in it! As for the mind, mine must be having coffee with yours somewhere...

Birgitte said...

Love that green, you look great in your new jacket. I think we all 'misplace' our minds form time to time, creative people usually do. Wear it as a badge of honor :)) The snap arrived safely in the end and it was a great solution. I liked all your alterations, very professional and it shows.

David said...

I love it! Such a beautiful bright color. My mind must be on vacation with yours! LOL I just misplaced my sewing snips again for the millionth time!

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I agree with Lauren. You will certainly be stopping traffic and turning heads when you wear that jacket. Great job.

Omega said...

I love your jacket, that color was one of my favorite colors last summer, love it! It looks great on you.

Faye Lewis said...

That is a wonderful jacket. I love your work.

Lori said...

Wonderful jacket, it looks great on you. My first thought was, wow, that jacket would look great with white and then I read your post!

Julia said...

I love this jacket and I'm looking forward to seeing the beaded button broach. You are so good. I like all the changes you made to this jacket. What's wrong with bright. It's happy and cheerful just like your personality.

Jean said...

Great jacket --- the color looks amazing on you! Thank you for the really good tips about using the snap and altering the facing pattern to eliminate the gathers. Sometimes I get so caught up in following directions to a "t" that I don't even think about alternatives that will actually make the garment better!

Patricia said...

The jacket turned out great. I love the colour, especially with your hair.

Elaray said...

Perfect color for summer and a great looking jacket.

kbenco said...

I love the colour. The whole jacket says smart and spring.

Little Hunting Creek said...

I love your jacket - great color! Your mind and mine have run off together. I have sewn the wrong sleeve on TWICE in a row, sewn a zipper on upside down and ripped out the same seam more than once. :)

Nancy K said...

I love the changes you made to this and the color is one of my favorites. Very smart.

Meg said...

Perfect! This jacket looks just fabulous on you. Very nice job I must say!

Debbie Cook said...

Love this jacket, love the color!

HeathersSphere said...

Gwen, you can definitely stop traffic in this eyecatchingly gorgeous jacket! You do such lovely work!

Rachel said...

I love the style and color of that jacket.

Tany said...

The jacket look awesome and I love the color very much! You did a fabulous job!

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Gwen .- jacket appears perfect, and you look divine, really. Color, because you're in fashion. I saw a window in one of the best boutiques in Barcelona, it is completely full of clothes of this color (here called pistachio).

Cennetta said...

Gwen, You look fantastic! The jacket pops and is a great bold color.

Post a Comment