Monday, July 23, 2012

My First SureFitDesigns Garment




But, not my last!  I've been following the discussion about SureFitDesigns on Stitcher's Guild for some time.  A while ago, I took the plunge and bought the Dress Kit, Pants Kit and Shirt Kit.  Honestly, Carolyn made me do this.  She kept showing some very nicely fitted garments, using her SureFit sloper.  

I made two muslins to get the fit perfected.  The first garment I've made is a blouse, using the Dress Kit.  It's very plain--bust darts, vertical darts front and back.  Convertible collar. Roll-up sleeves.  The fabric is a poly/cotton blue and red stripe.  This blouse is as perfectly fitted, I think, as a blouse can be, considering my lumpy, middle-aged body.  




I love how it fits!  It's great to have a TNT bodice that I can make into blouses or jackets or dresses--whatever I want.  I'm having a ball.  I have a white blouse sewn, waiting for buttonholes.  That's something I need badly in my wardrobe.  I'll be sewing blouses for a while, changing each one and adding different collars, cuffs and silhouettes to each.  Eventually, I'll tackle the ShirtKit and PantsKit.  So happy!


***************************************************************************************
Thank you all for your nice words about my white jacket.  It's a garment that's pretty distinctive.  It will be traveling and showing up somewhere in the future.  Just wait and see!

22 Talk to me:

Yvonne Bennett said...

I have the works and just simply have NOT had time to work with it. I'm looking forward to not working in the near future and spending the cold months sewing. Your fit looks awesome!

Rebecca said...

The shirt looks perfect! :)

Belinda said...

The shirt looks great on you!

Nancy Winningham said...

This is great! Once you have that basic blouse fit, there are so many things you can do with it! Nice job.

Kyle said...

The shirt looks great! Is this the first time I have ever seen your face?? I think so!!

Faye Lewis said...

Gwen that is a wonderful fit.

Sharon said...

Fantastic fit and you will have so much fun with all the options.

Karin said...

Lovely to have a new TNT shirt pattern, it looks great!

Carol said...

I really should do this, too. It's a great shirt and you should be really proud of the fit!

Elaray said...

Okay, okay … now you're making me seriously consider SureFit. I've been toying with the idea forever. I like the way the blouse looks.

Irene said...

This certainly looks like a wonderful fit. Have fun playing with design details for future pieces.

Lori said...

Your shirt looks great, have fun and can't wait to see your white blouse.

Corrine said...

I was thinking about you and the Sure Fit system the other day. I found what I think may be the prototype to the current system tucked away in my bookshelf. I will put it up on my blog sometime this week when I get to to take some pictures. It is dated 1971 and updated 1974, that would be about when I bought it. It got tucked away and...well...never used. Your blouse looks great. I am a blouse person as well and have been playing around with commercial patterns without much satisfaction. Can't wait to see what else you do with the system.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Congratulations on a great investment - it fits great!

MushyWear said...

Your blouse looks like a great fit! I love making up a tnt pattern in different ways, because you always know each version will fit, and that is a good feeling. To answer your question about getting to the different islands. People mostly travel by plane. In Maui, there is a ferry to Lanai. The state tried to launch a Super Ferry to Oahu a couple of years ago, but it was shut down. I don't travel to the other islands very often, but would like to more in the future. When I leave Maui it is mostly to return to the Pacific Northwest to visit friends and family. Thanks for asking!

Sheila said...

That is a great fit and off to read more about SureFitDesign... Thanks.

BTW.. I am awestruck. I guess during one of my blog reading drive-bys, I did not realize you made the White Jacket (misread and though K.K made it). I love the details of that jacket and still awestruck and it is gorgeous.

Victoria said...

Lovely blouse! The fit is just perfect. What a great kit--never heard about it and will definitely be reading up on it. Hope you sew blouses to your heart is content:)

The Slapdash Sewist said...

This does look great--so crisp and tailored! The fit looks just about perfect.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! A basic shirt/blouse is such a useful thing to have. Many happy returns!

Cennetta said...

Congratulations, the sloper looks great.

Diana said...

What fun Gwen! your shirt looks like a great fit and making a few and changing them up is just what I like to do lately!

Sewingadicta said...

Oh, Gwen! That blouse fits so well on you!! I'm happy that you are doing new projects and be active with the seam. Greetings, dear friend.

Post a Comment