Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Pinweaving Project

Some time ago, Bunny did pin-weaving on a handbag.  Hers is shown on the link.  Years ago, I also did some pin-weaving, also.  I'm just finishing a hand embroidery, and thinking of a new handwork project.   Enter pin-weaving.

Unfortunately, I lost or threw out the Threads magazine  about that technique--#51, I believe.  I know I had it once upon a time.  Really, I should invest in their DVD magazine collection.  There is a more recent Threads article by Shirley Adams in #147, and online Here.

I decided to make fabric for the front and back of a handbag.  It will be a boxy style bag, in fall colors.  OK, I know, know--but I'm slow and it won't hurt to be ahead of the game for a change! I gathered some yarns and other fibers in turquoise, gold and rust for the bag.  Fabric can also be used in pinweaving, but I'm going to stick to yarns and trims. 

I have a pinweaving mat by June Tailor.  It's a board, covered, padded and with grid marks on the top.  I cut a piece of fusible interfacing a bit larger than my finished bag, and pinned it, fusible side up in 3'8" (approx) intervals.  That makes the "loom".


Then,  using a rust colored #8 Pearl Cotton, I made the warp by wrapping the thread around the pins, top to bottom across the entire piece.



These are some pin-weaving tools.  Usually, I prefer a very large yarn needle.



Then start weaving the weft.  It is free-form, taking shape as I work.  This is where it is now.



Pin-weaving is fun.  I've had a good time working with it today.  Handbags are fun to make, too.  You can get very creative with handbags, embellishing them to the hilt, which isn't always a great look in garments.  I'm carrying a summer bag that I made some time ago.


I love this bag.  My daughter has one similar.  I call it "MardiGras".  It is crazy quilted, and embellished with trims, pearls, iron-ons.  Makes me happy.

Back to my weaving.  Oh, and have a great 4th of July.  Be safe this weekend.

16 Talk to me:

Faye Lewis said...

Amazingly beautiful!

Irene said...

A beautiful start. Will be waiting (patiently) for the end result. Pin weaving really intrigues me. One of these days...

Sharon Sews said...

Wow! That looks like a lot of work - even if it is really fun. I've never tried it but it does look pretty interesting. Hmmmm, can I fit more into my schedule?

Lori said...

That is such a beautiful start to your pinweaving. Your bag is amazing.

Karin said...

That is a mardi gras bag! Your pin weaving is intriguing. I like the wave you have started.

Fran said...

Thanks for the info on pin weaving. And, that is one wonderful bag!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Love the start of your pin-weaving, I would never think to do anything but straight across!

Anonymous said...

Your Mardi Gras bag is gorgeous. I can see why it makes you happy.

Anonymous said...

That looks so interesting. Love the colorful design you've started.

Sewingadicta said...

Fantastic idea!! What a beautiful job and very creative!

Diana said...

First of all. I love your summer bag. What fun!As for the pin weaving , that sounds like a lot of work and I'll be anxiously awaiting the finished bag. Have fun!

sewistafashionista said...

Wow! You are doing the freeform weaving! It looks great.

Bunny said...

Love your Mardi Gras bag. You've got a great start going on your pin weaving project. Can't wait to see this one constructed. I am coveting your "shuttle" and board.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! That looks interesting. I love what you have done so far. And that handbag is a party in the best way possible!

MushyWear said...

I have never heard of pin weaving, but it looks beautiful. I can't wait to see your finished bag. The bag you are carrying this summer sure is nifty!

Nancy Winningham said...

the bag looks great! Your pinweaving is very creative - nice job.

Post a Comment