Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Pants

Like many of you, I've struggled with pants fitting for a long time.  I've seen Palmer/Pletsch teachers at work.  Read many fitting books.  Still--pants are not an easy thing to fit or wrap one's mind around.  For a long time, I thought the issue was crotch length or depth.  But no, my crotch is just fine!  When I finally realized that my front waist is lower than my back waist, I was able to fit my pants.  I now have pants that are as well fit as they are going to on my middle-aged body, in it's present state of fatness!

I am not posting a photo of my pants.  Boring.  I make plain, straight-legged pants.  No pockets, even.  Plain.   Someday, I will make fancy pants and then post a photo.  Maybe I'll embellish a pair! 

But here is something that is not boring.



I bought my copy of this book at the bookstore.  I've only skimmed it, but it is well done, well organized and has a lot of really good information provided by--YOU!  I'm anxious to sit down and go through it, page by page.  The other Gwen is giving away 5 copies of this book on her blog.  So, if you're interested, run over there and drop a comment to get in the drawing.

I have to decide on my next project.  I still need more pants, but I think I'll take a break from that and do something more creative.  And read my new book.

13 Talk to me:

Unknown said...

I'm eager to learn this skill Saturday in Novi at the Expo! I have a 3-hour class first thing in the morning, so I'm really hoping to walk out of there with a great fitting pattern! Will you be there?

Faye Lewis said...

Gwen,I know how busy you must be, but when you do have a minute would you please look over at my blog and critique my coat muslin. I do so value your suggestions!

Karin said...

I am not sure if I feel consoled or discouraged when experienced sewers like yourself and Nancy bemoan trying to fit pants! I suppose that it shows that a good fit in pants is an endless quest and not to be too hard on myself.

JoanneM said...

I bow down to anyone who can sew pants. I bow down to you Gwen!

becki-c said...

I am sure that your pants look great. I think that sewers often over analyze the fit and fuss too much. I have seen reviews of pants that I thought looked great that other have over-analyzed. You have done such a great job on everything that you make, I really hope that you will share with us.

Trudy said...

Thanks for the review of the book and for the headsup on the contest.

Trudy
www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

Rose said...

Isn't it amazing how one thing can make such a difference with pants? I bet you were smiling when the pants finally fit! Thanks for the heads up about the book.

Faye Lewis said...

Gwen thanks so much for taking the time to look at my coat! I don't have shoulder pads, but now that you mentioned it, I think adding them would be a good idea. Do you think the shoulder pads would take care of the wrinkling across the back waist too?

Anonymous said...

Fitting pants is one job I hate doing with my students. It is trial and error every time. I don't make pants for myself because fitting them is such a bad exercise. I am happy that you found an answer for your fitting issues.

Linda T

Kathy said...

that's pretty cool that you figured out your fitting problem with pants. One of these days...I will play around with them...i'm just so impatient when I sew.

~ Kimberlee B ~ said...

You are too funny! I'll have to check that book out!

sewistafashionista said...

Congratulations on conquering pants! Any version. I am still working on that one.

Sheila said...

Congrats on getting a good pants fit. It is definitely a challenging project. That book is on my reference book list... must get it.

Post a Comment