Sunday, May 16, 2010

Books, Rags and T-Time

Thank you all for the nice comments about my trench coat.  It is finished, and I will post photos of it on me when I get around to pressing it--probably sometime this week.  I  like the coat, and will make it again, perhaps in the fall.  I really like the look of a trench coat in a print.  I'll be looking for appropriate fabric.

Like most people, this is a busy time of year for me.  House cleaning, outside chores take priority and sewing gets pushed aside until chores are done.  My sewing room will be torn up for a while, as we put new tile on the floor.  Of course, that calls for a thorough cleaning of the room, too.

When I can get to it, I do have to make some new Ts for summer.   Finding Tshirt fabric that I like is difficult.  I do not like Lyrca. At all.  It feels rubbery and hot to me.  I know there are a lot of devoteees of Lycra, which is probably why there is so much of it available.  To find a decent cotton knit without Lyrca is rare, especially prints.  I have a few solids that I just purchased from  Fabric.com.


I am such a sucker for books.  This one has been on my list,  and when I was at BN this week, there was a copy, which I immediately grabbed.
I am pleasantly not disappointed in this book.  It's focus is redesigning commercial patterns- dart manipulation, etc.  It's not as comprehensive as a text book, but it is more involved than most 140 page books.  For people with a lot of sewing/designing experience, it's a "view  before you buy" type book.

I love the current issue of Threads.  I also picked up the spring Sew Stylish.

This issue of Threads is really interesting.  There are some really cute ribbon flowers, for those who love to wear a corsage on their jackets-you know who you are!  Sew Stylish has some fabric manipulation that is awesome.  Both magazines have a lot of embellishment articles.   If you don't subscribe to these mags, run, don't walk, to your nearest bookstore and take a look. 

I'll be working this week on my floor.  And thinking about sewing.  Making plans.  Sewing in my head!







8 Talk to me:

becki-c said...

At least you can think about sewing while you finish the time!
I agree with you about lycra, it just isn't comfortable to me. I finally found some good sea island cotton, but it is a boring shade of pale blue, not stylish like yours. I will have to check this out.

Kathy said...

ooooo, nice knit stash you got from fabric.com. It's hard for me to buy online, as I'm the type that has to "touch" everything. Also, thanks for your review on those mags....I'll have to check them out now! that Sewing Patterns book, is it a new one?

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I'm with ya on finding good knit prints - why isn't there a good selection?

Toocutedobs said...

I really like Fabric.com (Fabric Mart also) and like it more each time I walk into a bricks and mortar store. The selection at the bricks and mortar plus the poor quality sends me back to the internet each time. Regarding the floor, Honey and I tiled our bathrooms at our former home. The largest rubber spatula from The Pampered Chef is great for mixing up a bucket of mortar :)

Judy D in WA said...

I am having a heck of a time finding nice knits for tops and not once did I think of Fabric.com. Now I must go shopping. ;)
Thanks for the inspiration.

Michelle said...

I would love to have tile in my sewing room! I hope you will show us some pics when it is all back together. and I know what you mean about having trouble finding good t-shirt fabric. Lately it seems like everything I find is tissue thin.

ELMO said...

I agree, I would love a good source for long staple cotton. I don't like the "grin through" of the lycra either.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have got pattern 3786, did the pintucks today with Bernina pintuck foot, but found them too narrow. The pattern says for each pin tuck to be 1/8th wide. Can you get a 1/8th inch pin tuck with pintuck foot. If you can, please tell me how, as I have spent hours today and can't do it. Thanks for any help from anyone! Have a good day. Encarnita from Australia

Post a Comment