Tuesday, January 1, 2013

SureFitPants, first try

The current challenge in my Designer group is to make a pair of pants with a fly-front zip.  Although I have a pattern that fits pretty well, I decided to use this as an opportunity to try out my SureFitDesigns pant draft.  After a bit of tweaking, I have a good fitting pant from this system.

I have an irregularly shaped, middle-age body.  Difficult to fit.  On the first trial pant, the front was very good.  The dimples around the dart are because of  the cheap poly fabric, which didn't  hold a press well.  On good fabric, there won't be any wrinkles there.



The back had a good fit at the waist and hip.  There was an issue in the legs.  I had diagonal wrinkles pointing toward the inseam, but extra fullness in the back leg.


I let out the inseams a bit, and then took a vertical tuck all the way down the center of the leg from the hemline to the middle of the hip.  That let the pant have some fabric at the inner thigh where I need it, while taking out the extra fullness in the middle of the leg.  This is the end result, with the extra fabric pinned out in the back leg.


No wrinkles, no pull lines.  Once I make the adjustments to the pattern itself, I'll be ready to make a wearable pair of SFD pants.  I didn't have to work as long on these as I have other pants patterns.  For one thing, they are drafted to my measurements, and I know a little more about fitting now.

I'll use this pattern to make all types of pants.   Jeans, yoga pants--whatever I want.  It's easier to design than fit.  At least for me.

This was a good start for the new year.  

19 Talk to me:

Linda T said...

Very nice fit, Gwen! I may have to end up ordering this system.

shams said...

The pics are a bit dark, but those look like a pretty good first effort!

Jane M said...

Your success with these is a real testment to the Sure fit system and your careful sewing. Bravo. Nice way to start the new year.

Judith said...

Great start to the sewing year - you have a super pants pattern to work with now.

Mariela Alethia said...

I have been following your blog for a while and I know you have been working on pants fitting. The end result looks awesome.

Corrine said...

If anyone can tweak the fit, it is you! Those look really good. One of these days I want to try the system and I really enjoy your posts about it. Can't wait to see the good ones!

Teddylyn said...

Nice fit! You are right about fit--once you have a master pattern that fits, the possibilities abound! I'm looking forward to seeing your upcoming creations!

Lynda

Teddylyn said...

Nice fit! You are right about fit--once you have a master pattern that fits, the possibilities abound! I'm looking forward to seeing your upcoming creations!

Lynda

Faye Lewis said...

Great fit! You are already such a great pant maker.

Ann said...

Great fit Gwen. I must order this as I want to make my own clothes again.

Sharon said...

Fantastic fit and agree that you now have a TNT Pants pattern, the styles are endless. I'm curious how you take out the excess fabric from middle of the leg without taking it up into the hips? As you can tell my pant fitting knowledge is zero.

Karin said...

Those do look promising! Pants are such a challenge to fit! And now, it looks like a TNT pattern for you! Nice start to 2013:-)

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I have that same wrinkle on every pair of pants I have...I haven't found a fix yet, but I may try yours, if I ever put my knitting needles down!

MarcyF said...

Gwen, I'm quite impressed with the fit you achieved (and so quickly) using the SFD kit. It looks like you're well on your way to a TNT pant!

Sherril said...

Your fit is amazing. I need to go through this process all over again.

Anna Christina said...

I just love reading your blog. The pants look wonderful. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Calico_Quilter0321 said...

Great job on fitting those pants, Gwen; they look just right and really are flattering to your figure!

MushyWear said...

How nice to have such a great fitting pants pattern. This is definitely a great start to the new year!

Gabrielle said...

Looking great - great fit! So exiciting to have a TNT trouser pattern like this!

Post a Comment