Sunday, November 27, 2011

V8624

Here's a shrugg-y type jacket from Vogue, 8624.  The envelope states it has kimono sleeves, but in fact, I believe they are more dolman.  The under part of the sleeve angles down to the hemline of the jacket, creating drape and fullness at the side.  Here's a photo of mine, with my husband holding out one sleeve straight.


Mine is made from a lightweight, drapey rayon.  It does not meet at CF.  It looks much better on than off, and the photo on the pattern envelope is an accurate depiction.  It's another version of a cocoon jacket.

A couple of weeks ago, I attended a workshop entitled "Mixed Media".   We painted fabric with all types of fabric paint and ink, learned to draw images on fabric, stencilled, screen-printed, sun printed, etc.   It was two riotous days of fun!  I have a lot of samples that were done in the workshop that will never be anything but samples.  The one thing I actually finished is a white silk scarf.  I spray painted it with silver glitter.  Then, I used Shiva Paintsticks to stencil words all over it.  The paint had to cure for a couple of days, and then it was heat set with an iron.  I intend to bead the edges with silver beads.



I'm working on a silky, sheer waist length mobius wrap.  It's simply a rectangle with borders.  Easy, right?  It would be, except for the slippery fabric.  Not particularly enjoyable to work with.  I'm making french seams and  serger rolled hems.  If all goes well, I'll have it finished tomorrow.  Then, I want to make the E-Shrug.  I'm probably the last person in blogland to make it. 

I hope all of you had a wonderful holiday weekend!

22 Talk to me:

KC said...

I am completely in love with that scarf! So pretty and funky at the same time!

Lori said...

Very pretty shrug/jacket and your scarf is gorgeous. You are able to attend the best workshops.

Karin said...

I like your shrug. It looks liquidy and drape-y and cosy while still being smart.

Faye Lewis said...

Cute Gwen, think you'll get a lot of wear from it.

Linda L said...

Like the jacket, the scarf is really cute. I have Shiva paint sticks that I played with once or twice. I like how you used them on the scarf

Irene said...

Your jacket looks wonderful. Love the polka dots!
What a brilliant idea for stenciling on the scarf!

Diana said...

Interesting stuff and I love your choice of words on the scarf!

shams said...

That scarf is wonderful!!!! Your shrug is cute and looks very wearable. (I thought those were batwings. :) )

Anonymous said...

just when i think that i know all the vogue patterns, an unknown one pops up! I love the butterfly sleeves!

I would like to make the e shrug too!

Aminat said...

Love your jacket and great fabric choice ...

Cecili said...

I love this type of design for jackets and your fabric works great with it!

Carol said...

I'm a real fan of these jackets and I want to make more for myself. I'm with shams - the first thought that popped into my mind was batwing. My mother had a wonderful top that was very similar when I was a child and I remember her calling it a batwing top.

Bunny said...

Your scarf is fabulous,Gwen. The jacket is awesome but the arm with no body , as in hubby, just freaked me out for a moment. I guess my day is just starting to early,LOL!

Lisette M said...

What a great shrug!

Jane M said...

What a creative, beautiful scarf. And every time you wear it it will bring back memories of such a delightful workshop. I've purchased a few of those same style shrugs at craft shows and was happy to see that pattern show up in Vogue since it is so versatile.

Kyle said...

LOVE your husband hiding behind your dressform while holding the sleeve, stretched out! What a hoot.
You take such interesting classes Gwen.
Have had my Santa bag (inspired by your bag) out in public for 2 days and have had 3 "that bag is so cute" comments and 1 "where did you buy that bag" comment!

annachristina said...

You make such beautiful things!

MushyWear said...

Oh the print is perfect for the the cocoon style jacket. It looks so nice!

SewBarbie said...

Both lovely, I have been waiting for someone to make the Vogue pattern, love your choice of fabric.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Love the polka dots on the jacket/cardi thing! Fabric paint sounds like fun.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Hey, you are good with Photoshop - is that what you did with your husband's head?! Love the jacket and also that scarf is really cool.

Cennetta said...

The cacoon jacket is lovely. And the mix media workshop sounds fun. Like the scarf.

Post a Comment