Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Little Bits Done

Moving at my usual snail's pace, I am finally sewing on the jacket.  Yay!  I'm underlining this wool crepe with batiste.  It takes time to hand-baste the underlining, but time well spent.  I'm fusing interfacing to the underlining, which will prevent the crepe from collapsing from the fusing.   Also, I will hem to the underlining only, so there won't be an "pick marks" showing on the garment right side. 

Here, I've fused a 2" strip of interfacing at the hem of the batiste and am basting it to the wool.


I sew all my small pieces first--collars, cuffs, etc., so they are ready to sew to the garment when I'm at a point to need them.  I've made pocket flaps, sleeve bands, a back band and collar.  I'm top-stitching, using 2 strands of matching thread.  I have one machine set up just for top-stitching.  Here's the pocket flaps.

Now, those are totally boring pictures.  But--it's what I've done so far.  More later.

7 Talk to me:

Karin said...

Your top stitching looks perfect. Did you have a special foot with a seam guide (sort of like a quilting 1/4 inch foot)? Or a double needle?

Fran said...

I agree -- your top stitching is perfection. I like the idea of finishing off the small pieces first. I underlined for the first time a few months ago and really liked it -- it does take time, but is gratifying.

Anonymous said...

Your post answered a question for me. One of
Y planned jackets is wool crepe and I wondered if batiste is stable enough for underlining. If you're doing it, it must be ok! Looking forward to your progress.

Anne L said...

Did the fabric shrink when you steamed it?

Rose said...

Your "little bits" look good! Keep rolling!!

Cennetta said...

Perfect.

sinan said...

gümüşhane
bilecik
erzincan
nevşehir
niğde
TİQ

Post a Comment