The review is here.
The pattern calls for a stable knit, but I used a gray striped, loosely woven wool, which I bought for 50 cents at one of my sewing clubs. Because the jacket is boxy and not closely fitted, using a woven fabric worked out just fine. The wool did require a lining. I had this printed lining in my stash that I got off the grab table at another sewing guild.
The buttons were in my stash as well, so this jacket was basically a freebie.
I did make a few changes to the pattern. I added hem allowances and ommited the hem facings. Because I didn't want to disrupt the stripe, I cut the back on the fold, instead of in two pieces as the pattern dictates. The sleeves are two-pieced, but again, I made them in one piece, so the stripe wouldn't be interrupted. I added cuffs to the sleeves and ommited the sleeve facings.
I used a traditional tailored collar/lapel technique instead of going by the instructions. It's not that "an old dog cannot learn new tricks" but I liked my old way better! I will make this jacket again, probably in the spring.
I whacked and stacked 7 T-shirts, and sewed 3 of them.
The one in the center is brick red, and I will wear it under the Riveria jacket.
There are 4 Ts waiting to be sewn, as I have a few minutes. That's something I can sew when I don't have to think. I can make them in my sleep. But, my next real project is this jacket, that I want to make out of black/white houndstooth wool.
I'll make the hip-length version, and although it's supposed to be an unlined jacket, I am going to line it in red. A pattern, after all, is just a "suggestion".
Happy New Year to everyone. May 2010 be your best sewing year ever!