Some projects just wanna' give you grief from the beginning. I hope this will not be one of those. Last summer, I found this fabric on the grab table at a sewing meeting. It's a brushed cotton, but it is so lush it looks like velveteen. Drapable. It's a very dark olive green/black print on a white background.
It's a large print, large repeat. I decided to make an old TNT blouse pattern from it, thinking there was plenty. That was wrong thinking my first challenge. I wanted the print to not only be centered vertically, but horizontally as well, so I treated it as a horizontal stripe.
Had I changed the pattern to have a separate front facing instead of cut-on facings, I would have been more successful in trying to match all the pieces. But those cut-on facings take up a lot of fabric. I know that. I was in denial.
So that the print would match horizontally around the body, I rotated the bust dart to the underarm.
Cut out bust dart
Original dart closed and new dart rotated to underarm.
All was well. Until I started to cut the sleeves. In order to cut the print so that the sleeves/body stayed horizontally matched, I had to cut the sleeve vertically in the center, add seam allowances and make it a 2-piece sleeve.
I also had to shorten the sleeve to 3/4 length and add a cuff.
The pieces are all cut out. As I worked on it, I wondered why I'm going through all this aggravation for a blouse. Although I like the fabric, it's not not the most fabulous I've owned, and it was free, after all. I just don't want to be defeated by a piece of fabric.
I'm 60+years old (don't know how I got here)! I live on an island with my husband. I have a daughter, son-in-law, and 2 grandsons, who are the light of my life.
My grandmother put a needle in my hand when I was 3 years old. I haven't put it down since.