Monday, June 8, 2009

Fabric and Patterns

What could be better? While I'm waiting on the red fabric to arrive for DD's jacket, I added a bit to my stash. As much as I complain about Jo's fabric selection, it's the only store within 60 miles of where I live, so I am forced to go there. Otherwise, I order online.

And, regardless of my complaints, I usually find a piece of fabric or two that make their way into my cart. Such was the case today.




The 3 bottom fabrics are from Jo's. There's a navy stripe rayon blend for a jacket and pants to match, a white poly and a navy for easy peasy throw-on type jackets, such as the CJ Inset Jacket. The rust colored floral at the top is rayon/lycra from Gorgeous Fabrics, and the poly/lycra leopard print is from Hancocks. All except the white are for fall garments.



I've been searching the pattern companies for a basic shell to wear under a suit jacket. I have a pattern for myself that I drafted, but really, I don't like drafting. I like to start with a pattern, and redesign it. There are very few basic little shell patterns. I bought 2 today. Barb posted about this Simplicity pattern. I had seen it when pattern looking online, but assumed it was a knit T, and skimmed right past it. Pays to actually read the description sometimes!







Between these two patterns, there are a lot of options. S8523 has a bust dart, and neckline variations, with or without sleeves. M2818 has a princess seam, front and back, neckline variations, with or without sleeves. The McCall pattern buttons down the back, which I love, and of course, could apply to the Simplicity pattern as well.

The jacket I'm going to make has a "v" shape neckline with a collar. I think a jewel neckline would look nice for the top that will be worn under that particular jacket. Anyway, I was tickled to get both of these patterns. No drafting. I can change these up however I want. Yay!

13 Talk to me:

Julia said...

Beautiful fabrics. I also really like those patterns. You're going to be busy!

Rhoto said...

I have the Simplicity pattern, Gwen... (Yes, just "have it" ;) ). Looking forward to seeing what you make...
LOVE the animal print!!! Growwwwllll!!
Soft hug,
Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

Uta said...

Nice fabrics. And I really like a woven shell. Those are so elegant and, in summer, cool!

Jean said...

I love that animal print fabric! And yes, it is really difficult to find a good, basic shell pattern --- good to see you found two.

window dressing said...

Changing up a pattern is better because you could indulge in your creativity. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Unknown said...

Wow - the fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics is just well... gorgeous. I'm so proud of myself for not ordering any fabric during the last sale. Just 10 yards of black stretch tricot for lining summer knits. I will not go and look.... I will not go and look....

Faye Lewis said...

Love your fabric!

Faye Lewis said...

Thank you GWEN!

Pam Erny said...

Terrific fabrics....and some nice patterns to work with !

Linda T said...

Thank you for pattern suggestions. I will be wanting to make a shell to go with a suit that is on my to do list for this fall.

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

a good choice, Gwen. The patterns are also completely his' style '.

good weekend, Paco

Linda L said...

Nice fabrics. I complain about JoAnn's as well but every now and then I do run across a nice piece of fabric.

Paulette said...

Coincidentally, I just made the Simplicity blouse last night/today! FYI, it was a bit shapeless and baggy, so I ended up putting two long darts in the back as well as some shirring under the bust to give it some shape. I like the final result, but had to fiddle with it more than I ever thought I would have to. Good luck and hope if you sew it, yours fits better straight out of the gate...or envelope!

Post a Comment